Sometimes people think their projects are too small to need a professional architect’s help. But it’s important to know that if you’re changing walls or planning new construction, hiring an architect is a good idea. They do more than just create nice spaces; they consider everything about the area to design something that works well. Architects are also good at solving problems and finding cost-effective ways to use building materials. They know the rules for building and care about things like natural light and ventilation.
When picking an architect, it’s vital to get along well with them. You’ll spend a lot of time together, and you’ll need to share personal details with them.
Here’s a simple guide to consulting an architect for your “small” project:
- Look for information about architects in Kenya from websites like the Architectural Association of Kenya and Board of Registration for Architects and Quantity Surveyors.
- Ask friends or colleagues if they’ve worked with architects before. If they have, and their project was like yours, visit the job site or finished project to learn from their experience.
- Talk to several architects to find the right fit. Check their qualifications and see if you like their previous work. Make sure they listen to your ideas and can come up with creative solutions that fit your needs.
- Involve the architect when you know what you want. Show them pictures or sketches of buildings you like to help them design something that suits your style and requirements.
- Discuss the project details, fees, and any other consultants needed. Architects’ fees are negotiable, and you might need additional consultants like Quantity Surveyors or Engineers for bigger projects.
- Write down all the project details in a contract. Include the job description, budget, architect’s fees, and if needed, the completion date. Avoid making unnecessary changes to the plans, as it might cost more.
Hiring an architect, no matter the size of your project can make a big difference. They bring a thoughtful approach to design and problem-solving skills to help you create a functional and beautiful space.